Emergency Tax in Ireland; All Queries Answered

Emergency tax is for those who have started their first job or done a job switch recently. This means that when you start a new job, your employer is supposed to apply emergency tax rates to your initial salary.

We very well know that this can be so frustrating for you. But fortunately, you don’t have to worry about this. Our accounting experts in Ireland can help you to analyze your situation and help you to claim back your emergency tax as soon as possible.

When is emergency taxation applicable?

Your employer has to apply emergency tax to your income, provided you haven’t supplied sufficient information when starting your new job

  • If your job is not registered with the Revenue even though your employer has your PPS details, then this act may directly affect your income tax
  • You will be taxed at a standard rate of 20% up to the limit of your rate band for the first four weeks. After this, any income above this will be taxed at a much higher rate of 40%
  • If your job still remains unregistered after the initial time frame of 4 weeks, then your entire salary will be taxed at a higher rate of 40%

On the other hand, if you haven’t produced your PPS details to your employer, then you have to bear a higher tax rate of 40% on your income while you are being charged emergency tax

What should I do to avoid getting into emergency tax?

To avoid getting into emergency tax in Ireland, you have to:-

  •  Provide your PPS details to your new employer at the time of your joining itself
  • You have to make sure that your new job has been registered with the Revenue

If you fail to complete either of the above, you will be subjected to paying emergency tax on your income.

When can I start applying for a refund on my emergency tax in Ireland?

You can start applying for a refund on the amount you have paid once you stop paying emergency tax.

How do I get a refund on my emergency tax?

Once you applied for a tax rebate on emergency tax, you will receive this refund automatically in your paycheque depending on your employer’s payroll process.

Can I get a refund if I have left the job before receiving any refund of emergency tax?

Our tax experts can apply for a tax and USC refund on your behalf provided you have left your job before receiving a refund on your emergency tax paid and is currently unemployed. This is applicable for current as well as previous years.

So, if you have any doubts or clarifications required on your eligibility on emergency tax or if you require any assistance on the same, contact our accountants in Dublin 15. We will make sure you receive the highest average tax rebate in Ireland at a genuine fee. That’s our PROMISE!!


Call us at (087) 225 7706, 01 441 6919, or email us at Info@tascaccountants.com for any assistance.